Terms and Conditions of Use
This page states the Terms and Conditions under which you may use the website www.childline.ie (the “Site”). Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully. If you do not accept the Terms and Conditions stated here, do not use the Site. This Site is operated from Ireland by the [Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children an Irish registered charity number CHY5102 with its registered office at Unit 3, Block 3, Harbour Square, Crofton Road, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin. (the “ISPCC”)]. The ISPCC may revise these Terms and Conditions at any time by updating this posting. You agree to visit this page periodically to review the Terms and Conditions, because they are binding on you and each time you use the Site you agree to be bound by the current terms and conditions.Unit 3, Block 3, Harbour Square, Crofton Road, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin
This Site aims to empower and support children by providing support and information. However, the comments, opinions and views expressed on this Site do not necessarily represent the views of the ISPCC, the Board of directors nor its patrons. The information provided on the Site does not seek to replace the advice of trained professionals. This Site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. You should not disregard your own professional adviser’s opinion, or delay in seeking such an opinion, because of something you read or anticipate reading in this Site. The ISPCC is not responsible for any injury, loss, damage or expense incurred by any individual as a result either directly or indirectly of any information published on this Site.
You acknowledge and agree that the limitations set forth above are fundamental elements of this agreement and the Site would not be provided to you in the absence of such limitations.
The contents of the Site, such as articles, other text, graphics, images, software and other material (“Material”), are protected by copyright under both Irish and foreign laws. The ISPCC authorises you to view and download a single copy of the Material on the Site solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Unauthorised use, distribution or reproduction of the Material may violate copyright, trade mark and other laws. If you violate any of these Terms, your permission to use the Material automatically terminates, without prejudice to any other rights or remedies which may be available.
All your chats with Childline are safe. We will collect and process the following data:
- A history of all the chats you have had with Childline webchat are kept together so that you don’t have to explain everything to Childline each time you come on to chat about what you want to talk about.
- Each time you webchat to Childline, you might chat about the same thing or maybe it’s about something different every time. At the end of your chat with us, Childline makes a quick note to describe what your chat was about and store this with your chat conversation. Say your chat was about a friend that was annoying you. Childline might say that the chat with you was about “Relationship with Friends”.
- Sometimes we add up all the chats from all the children and young people who contacted Childline and see how many chatted about “Relationship with Friends”. We use this information to tell everyone else about the types of things children and young people contact Childline about. It helps us to tell the Government what they should be doing to help all the children in Ireland.
- Sometimes we use the types of reasons people contact us to tell stories about the reasons children contact Childline. We never use the exact information or stories people tell us, but we use examples from different people to make sure that individual stories could not be identified.
Links to other websites
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
Generally, any communication which you post to the Site is considered to be non-confidential. In accessing the Site you accept that communications passing over the Internet may not be free from interference by third parties. Consequently, the ISPCC cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of any information relating to the user passing over the Internet.
You agree not to use the Site or cause or permit any Materials to be used:
- so as to jeopardise or prejudice the operation, quality or integrity of the Site or Materials, or the operation, quality or integrity of any telecommunications network;
- for any commercial purpose including any surveys, contests or pyramid schemes, nor to use the Site to participate in or cause others to participate in sending chain letters, junk e-mail, spam, duplicative or unsolicited messages, advertising or promotional material;
- to harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including e-mail addresses, without their consent;
- to distribute, download, upload or transmit any material which contains viruses, trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or any other harmful or deleterious programs;
- contrary to the terms and conditions of any Internet Service Provider whose services you may use.
The ISPCC reserves the right to expel visitors to the Site and prevent their further access to the Site for violating these Terms and Conditions or the law. The ISPCC also reserves the right to remove communications which are in its view abusive, illegal, or disruptive.
The Material may contain inaccuracies or typographical errors. The ISPCC makes no representations about the lawfulness, accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of the Material or about the results to be obtained from using the Site and the Material. In particular, the ISPCC makes no warranties or representations as to the lawfulness, accuracy, reliability or quality of any medical opinions made available on the Site. The use of the Site and the Material is entirely at your own risk. Changes are periodically made to the Site and may be made at any time.
The ISPCC does not warrant that the Site will operate error-free or that the Site and its servers are free of computer viruses or other harmful elements. The Site and Material are provided on an “as is” basis without any warranties of any kind. The ISPCC, to the fullest extent permitted by law, disclaims all conditions and warranties, express or implied including any warranty or terms of merchantability, non-infringement of third parties rights, quiet enjoyment and any warranty of fitness for particular purpose.
The ISPCC shall not be liable, and shall not otherwise be deemed to be in breach of these Terms and Conditions of Use, for any failure to perform (or delay in performing) any of its obligations hereunder caused by circumstances beyond its reasonable control.
In no event shall the ISPCC or any third parties mentioned on the Site be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, incidental, punitive, exemplary, special and consequential damages, lost profits, or damages resulting from lost data or business interruption) resulting from the use or inability to use the Site and/or the Material, whether based on statute, contract, tort (including negligence), or any other legal cause, and whether or not the ISPCC is advised of the possibility of such damages.
The Site contains links to third party Web Sites. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you and not as an endorsement by the ISPCC of the content on such third party Web Sites. The ISPCC is not responsible for the content of linked third party sites and does not make any representations regarding the content or accuracy of materials on such third party Web Sites. If you decide to access linked third-party Web Sites, you do so at your own risk and in accordance with the prevailing terms and conditions and privacy policies of such third party sites.
The ISPCC generally welcomes the hyper-linking to the Site from other appropriate Web Sites provided such links are to the Site’s homepage (and no deeper within the Site) and provided the ISPCC gives its consent to the establishment of such links. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the ISPCC reserves the absolute right to refuse to consent to such links without giving reasons. Any links to the Site from another Web Site must be presented in such a manner that the viewing of the Site is not impaired by framing or similar techniques that may impair the visitor’s user experience.
Any disputes, claims or proceedings arising out of or in any way relating to the Materials or the Site shall be governed by the laws of Ireland. The Irish Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction for the purpose of any proceedings arising out of or in any way relating to the Materials or the Site.
If any provision of this Agreement is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of this Agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect.
No waiver of any term of this Agreement shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term.
The ISPCC may at any time and without liability modify, suspend or discontinue the Site or any Materials (or any part or specification thereof), with or without notice, for any valid technical, operational or commercial reasons.
These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and the ISPCC with respect to the use of the Site.