Alex's Answer

What should I do about feeling unsafe at home?

Your Question

Im feeling unsafe at home, what should i do


Hi there, 

Thank you for contacting Ask Alex, we’re glad you were able to get in touch to ask your question. From what you’ve said, it sounds like something has happened at home that is causing you to feel unsafe. This must be very tough for you and of course, very concerning for us, as every child has the right to feel safe in their own home.  

You’ve been very brave to express your thoughts and feelings about what’s going on for you at home, as that can be a difficult thing to do. Without knowing exactly what’s going on to cause this feeling of being unsafe, it may be difficult for us to advise you, but we’re wondering if there is a trusted adult in your life that you could talk to? Maybe an extended family member, family friend, teacher, or GP? These adults would have an obligation to assist you if you’re feeling unsafe and also to report any concerns for your welfare to the relevant authorities. If ever in immediate danger, you or your trusted adult can call the emergency services (The Gardai) on 112 or 999 from any landline or mobile phone. Alternatively,  Tusla Child & Family Agency can be contacted via their website: or by calling 01 771 8500. Both of these agencies are responsible for ensuring the safety of all children in Ireland and can be contacted any time you feel you need support or help to feel safe. 

Feeling this way must be very tough for you in your daily life, if you feel the options above aren’t right for you, there are also other directions you could go in to get support. For example, you have the right to seek help with your mental health by contacting your GP, or you can visit In Childline, we believe that talking makes us stronger so if you feel that talking to someone in your life is not an option for you at the minute, Childline also have listening services that are available 24 hours a day, all year round if you need to talk. All our services are free, confidential and non-judgmental. You can webchat with us on, send a text to 50101 or call us on 1800 66 66 66. 

We hope this answer is helpful to you and that you find a way to move forward in a supported way. 

Take care, 


Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.