Pat's Answer

To Pat / 15 May 2020

Want to tell mum

Your Question

I self harm and I want to get help, but my mum suffers from depression and used to self harm. I am worried that if I tell her that she will get worse. Help?

From Pat / 15 May 2020


Hi there, you are very welcome to ask pat.

You did the right thing by contacting us to tell us you are looking for help.

Childline would be very concerned that you are self harming and you have the right to get help. You are very brave to make that decision. Organisations such as Pieta House are available to help young people in your situation, they have a 24 hour helpline available at 1800 247 247 and they will discuss how their organisation work with you.

Childline also have a 24 hour phone service available 1800 666 666 and we are here to listen and support you and to help you explore the options that are available to you, we would never judge you and our service is confidential.

You also mention that your Mam suffers from depression and used to self harm and you sound concerned about her, perhaps that is something that you would like to chat to Childline about and we could explore your thoughts and feelings around that also.

Thank you for contacting us and we wish you well.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.