Once you start your online journey, you are part of a much wider community with the ability to chat and interact with people from all over the world on lots of different topics.
Of course, with this amazing opportunity comes responsibility. It’s vital to remember that by sharing any posts, pictures or videos, you’re not just consuming content, you’re also creating content.
Here are a few easy ways to be a great digital citizen:
- Always be kind and positive to others in your responses. Ask yourself how you’d like to be spoken to if you’d posted that image.
- Use respectful language and be mindful of terms or sayings that might be hurtful or triggering.
- Don’t call people names or make fun of them.
- Take a deep breath and think about your response to someone before pressing ‘Send’.
- Accept that not everyone will agree with your point of view and try not to get into online feuds.
- Know that words can be taken out of context. It’s not the same as seeing someone’s facial expressions when talking in person.
- Ask permission of people before posting pictures or information about them.
- Understand that being anonymous doesn’t give you license to say or do whatever you want.
- Be aware that there are consequences to your online behaviour.