Pat's Answer

To Pat / 13 Mar 2020

Topic: Professional Services

Your Question

Hello Pat,
You see I think I have a mental illness but since I’m obviously not a professional I can’t say for sure ,that’s why I seek professional medical help preferably a face-to-face therapist but I don’t know how to get it without my parents knowing so please tell me what should I do, pat?

From Pat / 23 Mar 2020


Welcome to Ask Pat,

It sounds like you think you might be experiencing a mental illness. It also sounds like you want to seek help from professionals and you have asked me what you should do. You also mention that you want to access professional services without your parents knowing about it.

You have a right to access services such as your doctor to seek advice or a referral if required to therapists etc. Parents/Guardians have a responsibility to look after you, both physically and mentally, so they would have to be made aware if you are to attend any professional services from your GP to a therapist.

You may attend your GP services for an appointment if you are 16 years or above, however they may need to inform your parents if they feel obliged to. You asked what you should do, while it is understandable that you are asking for advice, I cannot tell you what to do, but I can tell you about support available and your rights such as your right to access mental health services. There is also support and information on the HSE website , where you can find information about many issues related to mental health and about other support services.

Perhaps you would like to chat about how you are feeling some more by calling Childline on 1800 66 66 66, texting us on 50101 or via our webchat service on Sometimes talking with someone about how you feel can help you find an answer to your questions.

Take care,

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.