Alex's Answer

If my stepdad sexually assaulted me, what should I do?

Your Question

If my stepdad sexually assaulted me what should I do


Hi there and thanks for contacting Ask Alex. 

You talked about if your stepdad sexually assaulted you what should you do. 

Firstly, I would like to say how brave you are to reach out for support. We would be very concerned here when you talked about your stepdad sexually assaulting you. No one has the right to harm you in anyway or make you feel unsafe. Is there somebody in your life that you can feel you can trust, who will listen to you and support you in taking the taking next step. This person can be other family members, or another adult like a coach or friends. In terms of what this next step is, you can make contact with An Garda Siochana (999 or 112) or Tusla ( to disclose what has happened to you. These organisations are here to help you and ensure you are safe.  

As important as it is to have support from our loved ones, what has happened to you is very significant and seeking some professional help around what has happened, may prove invaluable in helping you come to terms with what has happened. Depending on your age you can contact the Rape Crisis Centre ( , your GP could refer you to CAMHS, counselling services or talk to you about other mental health services such as Jigsaw (  

If you ever need to talk about it and you don’t know who to go to, know Childline is here for you. They will listen and support you whenever you need too. You can call them at 1800 66 66 66 or use the live chat in their website You can start a chat by clicking on the Orange Tab on the right-hand side of your screen.  

Take care of yourself, 


Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.