Pat's Answer

To Pat / 25 May 2019

Topic: Child Abuse

Your Question

What will social workers do in the case of child abuse

From Pat / 24 July 2019


Welcome to Ask Pat,

It sounds like you are curious as to what are Social Workers responsibilities in the case of child abuse.

Social Workers in Ireland who deal with child abuse work on behalf of TUSLA, who are the Child and Family Agency. Social Workers have a primary responsibility to promote the safety and well-being of young people under the age of 18 years. What they will do in relation to a report of child abuse will depend on what is going on for the child. Social Workers sometimes work with the Gardai who also have a responsibility for the safety and well-being of children.

Child abuse is never okay. No matter what you might be going through, it’s really important that you tell somebody what is happening. Young people have the right to report child abuse to the Gardai or to Social Workers. On the Childline website there is section called ‘Abuse’ under ‘Info and Advice’, you might find it useful to have a look at this. You would have the right to talk to a trusted adult about abuse and what can be done to stop it happening. If you don’t feel like there is a trusted adult in your life, Childline is always here.

At Childline you can talk through your thoughts, feelings and options. You can call us on 1800 66 66 66 or text us at 50101, both are free services. You can also log into the Live Messaging service on this website. Our services are here to provide support for you if you would like to chat to us. Thank you for getting in touch.

Take care,


Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.