Alex's Answer

Wearing a mask at school gives me hay fever

Your Question

Since we have had to where masks in school I’m experiencing hayfever like symptoms How can i go about getting a doctor cert to say i cant where them do i have to go for a check up. Thanks 


Hi, welcome to Ask Alex.  

Thank you for your question. It appears that you have been having some hay fever symptoms when wearing your mask at school. That must have been very difficult having those symptoms every day.  

The restrictions and recommendations on masks have recently changed. However, regarding your question about having to get a cert or visit your GP to say you cannot wear them, it could help if you discussed it with your parents and school to highlight the issues you are having. Having the conversation with a trusted adult such as parents, grandparents, teachers etc., could help you understand the current requirements and will give you the support you require to resolve your difficulties with masks. It could also help to try masks made from different materials as the one you are using at the moment maybe one that triggers the hay fever like symptoms.  

You are welcome to talk to Childline by phone on 1800 66 66 66, by text to 50101, or through our web chat on Childline is here for you anytime and we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The services are free and confidential. We are non-judgemental, and we will not tell you what to do. We can help you explore what options may be available to you.  

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are here to listen, and we are here for you whenever you would like to chat. Please get in touch with us soon.  I hope this information has helped you in some way. 

Look after yourself,   


Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.