Alex's Answer

Can I refuse a medical examination

Your Question

hi Alex i am 17 years old and i have to go to the doctor bc my down there is very itchy but if the doctor wants to take a look and i feel really uncomfortable with it even if female doc can i refuse? 


Hi there and welcome to Ask Alex, thanks for asking your question. 

You are saying that you need to go to the doctor, but you feel very uncomfortable should the doctor need to examine you. 

As you are 17-years old, you can visit your GP without an adult going in with you. It is perfectly normal to feel uncomfortable in a situation like this, but it is also important to remember that all GPs are trained and work in a professional manner.  For a GP to give you a diagnosis and treatment that will work, they will often ask to examine the particular part of the body that is affected. 

You could speak to your GP and let them know how you feel should they need to examine the area.  This way, they can provide you with reassurance and talk you through the process.  You could also request a GP you feel more comfortable with at the time of booking your appointment if this is an option. The main thing to remember is that do you have the right to decline the examination if you feel too uncomfortable in the moment. Feeling uncomfortable about maybe having to have an examination, however, should not stop you seeking medical advice, the earlier you receive treatment the sooner your ailment will be relieved. 

If you’d like to chat a bit more about this, you can contact us here at Childline on 1800 66 66 66 or on webchat at (by clicking on the orange Live Chat button).  We are here 24-hours a day, every day, to listen to whatever is going on for you.  

Take care of yourself, 


Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.