Alex's Answer

Can I move out of my home

Your Question

I’m 17 being abused in my house that I live in with my parents, what can I do? Can I move out?


Hi there, welcome to Ask Alex. 
Thank you for getting in touch with us at Ask Alex. 
We are here to help you. It sounds like you are going through a tough time right now. Have you spoken to an adult you trust about how you are feeling? They would be able to help you get the right support. Your GP also would be aware of local supports and be able to link you in with those too. 
You have the right to feel safe. Talking with someone regarding what is going on can maybe help you make decisions on what to do or who to contact. 
Would you feel comfortable talking to your parents? Consider putting what you want to say in writing. If you’re feeling nervous about having a conversation with your parents, write them a letter, email, or text to start the discussion. 
Remember, there is nothing wrong with asking for help. Telling someone how you feel can be a big relief! If you don’t feel like you can talk to your parents, speak to someone else you trust, maybe another family member or a teacher/doctor.
You would have the right to report the abuse to Túsla (The Child and Family Agency in Ireland) and to the Gardaí. It is their job to make sure all young people are living in a safe environment. If you are ever feeling unsafe at home, or if the abuse has happened, you can call the emergency services at 999 or 112.
If you feel like you can’t talk to someone you know, you can always call the Childline Team at 1800 66 66 66 or reach out through Live Chat at Our services are non-judgmental and confidential. You are never alone, and there are people available to listen and explore your options with you, so please reach out to us when you need help or support We are open 24-hours a day, every day! 
Take care of yourself, and reach out for the support you deserve real soon,

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there’s nothing too big or small.